Monday, April 17, 2017

He is there to succor us


At that time Jesus said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children.  Matthew 11:25 Painting by Morgan Weistling (1964, American):

"That he may know...how to succor his people, according to their infirmities"
Alma 7:12

Honestly, I'm still learning this one. I'd like to insert a really amazing testimony here and say how much I trust in my Savior and know He is always there for us. And I know that He is. And I know that He runs to succor us and understanding everything we go through. But I'm still learning to trust that, and the guidance and comfort and peace that comes with it. So, the best I can think of to share, is this quote:

"The door to him is always open, but the door to you can be closed and stay closed--if you choose to close it. If one great constant in the universe is the unfailing love of the Savior, the other great constant is his unfailing respect of human agency. He will not override your will, even for your own good. He will not compel you to accept his help. He will not force your own good. He will not compel you to accept his help. He will not force you to accept his companionship. He leaves you free to choose. I beg you to open the door and let him out of that room. Give him your whole heart, all the piece, and let him heal you." (Cheiko N. Okazaki, Lighten up!, pp 175-176). 


With this quote, I hear the word succor to be defined as this:

Open the door and let him in. Give him your whole heart and let him help. Lay all your burdens, worries, cares, heartaches, confusion, worries, and tears at his feet. They may come back, they will continue throughout this mortal life, and you may feel broken and lost and like there is no aid or hope--but He promises to be right there, by your side, understanding every thought and scare and doubt and worry whether put on by yourself or others. Let your Savior in. Open the door, pour our your heart, and choose His will. He succors you, surrounds you in His arms, and that peace that comes is sometimes the only answer you need. "The gospel was given to heal our pain, not prevent it." So, "from the ends of the earth I will cry to you. When my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to the rock that is higher than I" (Psalms 61:2). 

This isn't exactly the Easter message you're used to, but it's what I've learned this weekend. That there is no burden we need to bear alone. Make the Savior your daily companion and call upon His strength through hard times.

No comments:

Post a Comment