Monday, April 10, 2017

The Lord's Timing




Image result for bowman art lord's timing

"Verily I say unto you my friends, fear not, let your hearts be comforted;
yea, rejoice evermore, and in everything gives thanks;
waiting patiently on the Lord, 
for your prayers have entered into the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth,
and are recorded with this seal and testament--
the Lord hath sworn and decreed that they shall be granted...
And all things wherewith you have been afflicted 
shall work together for your good, and to my name's glory, said the Lord."
D&C 98:1-3



This scripture really comforted me this week, so I just had to share. Reflecting on why it comforted me, I was reminded that one way the Lord manages to teach me life-long lessons and try my faith is definitely by testing my trust in Him and reminding me that things happen in His time. In class this week, the professor mentioned a certain quote from Elder Neal A. Maxwell and I went home and looked it up (Neal A. Maxwell, "Patience"). I realized that it's not my role to give the Lord counsel regarding time and what I think would be good or how I think things could/should go...it hit me that, as Elder Maxwell says, we were wristwatches, and the Lord sees eternities. As His children, we belong to those eternities. We can trust that He knows what is best for us -- sometimes we'll be given opportunities and we won't realize in the moment how amazing they are and how happy they will make us, as the Lord continues to shape us with experiences and possibilities for greater happiness and continual peace and comfort. Of course, that whole in-between time where we take big steps forward based on just faith, trust, and hope are difficult, but when we have an eternal perspective in mind and are patient with the Lord, we have the promise that all will work out:

"For behold, thus said the Lord God: I will give unto the children of men line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little; and blessed are those who hearken unto my precepts, and lend an ear unto my counsel, for they shall learn wisdom; for unto him that receiveth I will give more." (2 Nephi 28:30)

As we have the Spirit with us and look to the Lord's counsel and guidance, he will help us step by step to soon receive the blessings he has in store for us. Sometimes the Lord tell us to do something or take a chance or follow an opportunity that we don't understand at first or know where exactly it will take us--sometimes we'll keep putting if off, but we have to listen to the Spirit's promptings right away and know that it will lead us down the best path. When we lay all we have at the feet of the Lord and follow Him and trust in His timing and plan for us, our lives will move forward like we never could imagine. In this decade of decisions, we must take our love for the Lord and our faith and trust in Him, and move forward with hope and happiness. Not only does our Heavenly Father want us to have joy in life eternal, but also happiness, peace, and comfort now. And the best way? To listen to him and move forward with His Spirit guiding and comforting our lives line by line, precept by precept, here a little and there a little. The Lord knows what He is doing, and as I take a look around in my life, I realize what blessings I have and how grateful I am to have them--and how, instead of worrying or wondering the timing of things, my role is to be enjoy the good of every moment and continue to be a disciple of Christ. 


No comments:

Post a Comment